Wednesday, September 9, 2009

9/8: Our Cubby

Braden started AWANA Cubbies tonight. Can my little baby really be that big? Since our church is just launching, they don't have extra activities like this. So, we signed up for AWANA and MOPS at a nearby church (Colorado Community Church). We had visited this church and liked it, but found it just a little too big for us. It feels a little strange to be seen as a "non-church" person coming to events. But, it's also a good perspective for us/me to gain. It's very cool too for him to participate in this program, since it is what brought Chad and I together.

Braden was excited all day about going to church and doing verses. However, about 10 minutes before we were to leave he told Daddy he was scared. Talk about making it even harder for this mommy! I'm so thankful for the kind of Daddy Chad is. He took Braden onto his lap and enveloped him in his arms. He gently told him what a good kid he was, how nice he is, how much his friends like him, how brave he is, and that we love him so much. Within a few moments, my brave excited boy was back and ready to go.

We checked him in and took him to his room. He ran right in, walked between all the kids, and sat down right in front of the teacher to join in with the song - hand motions and all. It still amazes me to see how outgoing he is. He definately gets that from his daddy! We walked away, thankful that our son is growing into such a great kid and excited to see his faith roots deepen through Cubbies.
I had tears in my eyes and a lump in my throat. I held Dylon even closer. This is probably the first time that I've left Braden anywhere without us (other than friends/family for babysitting). I can't wait to go back and get him (I need to leave in 8 minutes, but who's counting?!) Dylon even realized that this was wrong and asked "Whewr Brover" all the way home. We told him that Braden was at church and he replied "Go, get". He wasn't sure what to do without his best friend.

So, I'm off to pick up my now BIG boy! I'll write more when I return ...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I got to the church a little early and was able to watch Braden during the game time. He was just getting up for his turn! He put the bean bag on his head, ran around the circle, and tossed it at the pin -- knocking it down! I don't know who was more excited - me or him! It was fun to watch him from a distance - to see him interact with the other kids, obey his teachers, and laugh with delight. When I finally was able to pick him up from his class room, he talked a mile a minute. So much to say! He told me about the other kids with their blue shirts and bears on them (the vests/uniforms). He is already working on his verses for next week and has the first one pretty much memorized: "God loved us, and sent His Son".


I am glad that he had fun and VERY glad to have him back home and in my arms. I know, overprotective mom!

No comments: